Tuesday 13 May 2014

Interview with Jean-Lou Bernard



We’re only a few more days away from the clash between Belgians, so I decided to check on how Jean-Lou Bernard, last year’s winner, is doing.


 Bernard was in a difficult situation!
Jean-Lou at 2013's European Championship. Picture taken from the official coverage site.

You’ve been our national champion for the past year. Was it a pleasant experience?
JEAN-LOU: Yes. This experience allowed me to become a better player, even while I’m still not in the same league as players like Kim Van Campenhoudt, Sebastien Gonzalez or Denis Scorcioni.

The game has changed a lot the past year. Which was your favourite deck?
JEAN-LOU: My favourite Deck was post-september Dragon Rulers. The only problems were Sixth Sense and Return from a Different Dimension.

What’s the best Deck at the moment, in your opinion?
JEAN-LOU: The best deck right now is obviously Mermail, but I’m a bit tired of its gameplay, so I don’t really feel like playing it.

How did you prepare for this tournament?
JEAN-LOU: Sadly, I haven’t really been able to properly prepare because I have really important exams coming up. I don’t even think I’ll be able to make it to day 2.

Do you have any advice for those who will try to succeed you?
JEAN-LOU: I believe that anyone who wants to become the champion can do so realistically, but you need to sacrifice a huge amount of time and in most cases money to reach a well enough level. Still, Yu-Gi-Oh! is and will always remain a game involving luck, even when you are very skilled.

1 comment: